Thursday, April 10, 2014

LET'S TALK ABOUT . . .


                                                 "A CLUSTER OFCRISES II"


A few minutes ago I watched an interview held by the Allegheny Health Authority in Monroeville, Pennsylvania with one of the victims of the mass stabbing at one of their local high schools this week.  I appreciated the way those doctors tried to be present to monitor and guide what was happening with their patient and his mother.  I especially appreciated them limiting it for their patient's sake.

I know that area of the States; it is beautiful! My husband and I were married in a small private ceremony in Monroeville.  The point?  Trauma and crisis is no respecter of context: it can happen anywhere.  It is not limited by socio-economic, political or geographic parameters.  It is a human problem.

As I watched, so many of the dynamics of trauma were either talked about, referred to or on display during the interview.  I found myself wanting to offer a response, some kind of commentary.  At first, I thought such would be inappropriate due to the raw nature of this trauma.  Then I heard the mother plea for those who are able to learn from this whatever it is we need to learn in order to inform some kind of deterrent to please do so.  The public nature of the interview is what prompts this response.

I observed the shock and numbness that puts what happens somewhat at a distance to protect us until we are in a better position to process what has just happened.  I heard and observed the dynamics of first-hand and second-hand trauma in the student and his mother.  I heard the adrenalin rush at work in those at that chaotic scene at the high school.  I observed the initial high associated with the immediate aftermath of trauma survival. I listened as multiple responses were being described at the scene and in the aftermath.  These are all indicative of trauma.

One of the comments this mother made respecting the individual natures of those involved as well as the broader context of the abuse of power and bullying was impressive!  So many of our young people are facing these potentially volatile situations everyday, just to get an education.  How sad!
So often those who are more prone to being internalizers are not proficient at putting into words what is happening to them or even how they are feeling.  They often act it out, either imploding or exploding when they become saturated, or on overload.  We may never know what finally triggered such acting out.  While that is no excuse, it is often what happens.

My condolences to all involved!  We need to be touched by these events; we must not experience them as the new normal in our society.  I applaud this young man and his mother: their honest presentation of themselves at this time; their courage; the inclinations of their hearts; their respect; their pleas that we face the severity of these problems in our society, learn and try to implement deterrents when and where possible. What an amazing woman; what an amazing young man!

Until next time. . . this is, Just Janice!

No comments:

Post a Comment